Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Quick and Easy Chili



This recipe for Chili is the one I use when I am in a hurry or when we are camping. It is quick since you used canned beans. When camping I put all the dry spiced in a zip lock bag so I don't need to pack so many ingredients. It is a simple recipe to make vegetarian by just leaving out the ground beef. I also like to use different kinds of beans. The day I made this batch I used one can each of kidney, pinto and black beans. It is great with all black beans. This recipe is another one given to me by a dear friend. Irene just turned 90 and is amazing.

Easy Chili

1/4 cup chopped onions
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 pound lean ground beef (I also like to use ground venison)
2 cans tomatoes
3 cans beans (drained & rinsed)
1/2 cup salsa (my add in, optional)
1/2 cup barbeque sauce (my add in, optional)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin (my add in, optional)
 Fry onions and ground beef in oil until done, add tomatoes, beans and seasonings. Thicken with cornmeal. I start off just adding about 1/4 cup, adding more until the right consistency is made. Simmer about 30 minutes.
This is not a hot chili, so I usually set tabasco sauce on the table for those who like it with more kick to it.

There is a history to this recipe....it was used by Irene's husbands family in their restaurant on East Wood Street in Decatur about 1917.




No comments:

Post a Comment