Thursday, February 4, 2016

Cold Weather Cravings...

Yep, when it is cold I crave soup. In winter they are definitely my favorite foods...come the hot humid summer I barely make them. When I want a warm delicious soup, that is not heavy, this is the one I make.
French Onion Soup

  • 4 cups of sliced yellow onion, about 2 medium
  • 1/2 cup butter, 5 cups beef  stock
  • 1/2 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
  • 4 slices of cheese (Swiss, mozzarella, provolone,   Asiago...your choice)
  • 4 slices slices chewy bread...you know me, sour dough is my favorite!
 Saute onion in melted butter in soup pan until caramelized. Be patient this will take a few minutes.

Add beef stock and seasonings and simmer 30 minutes.
 
Meanwhile, preheat oven to broil.

When soup is done, place 
oven safe bowls on a cookie sheet. Ladle soup into bowls, top with a slice of bread and then cheese. Place in oven until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

 Be careful as bowls are very hot. I do not worry about how precise my onion measurement is. If when I slice the onion it comes to a little more or less of 4 cups, I just go with it. Bread is best if it is day old, fresh tends to get soggy to quickly.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment