Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Sourdough & Dutch Ovens

I don't know why, but when I make sourdough bread, it just call out to my Dutch ovens!  We had a Pioneer Day Activity here in Decatur for the kids 8-11 years old. I talked to the kids about how the pioneers cooked. It was so much fun! I made "Utah" scones and sourdough bread. The kids made butter to put on top of the breads, and it was delicious!



Most often for sourdough bread I will use the recipe on King Arthur Flour for Rustic Sourdough bread. It is very basic, fast and delicious.
 
The recipe uses yeast to help it rise faster, but this is just as great without yeast. The night before you want the bread, make the recipes as directed omitting the yeast. I form 1/2 the bread dough and place it in my greased 10" Dutch oven. I then place it in my refrigerator over night. I remove it from the fridge about 2-3 hours before I bake it. If I was cooking it in colder weather I might take it out in the morning.  I then cook the bread with 8 briquettes on the bottom and 14 on top, rotating every 15 minutes. The sourdough starter here in Illinois is more sweet than commercial sourdough or San Francisco sourdough.  This bread is wonderful served with soup or salads. I also like it with flavored butters! To see the full recipe go to my sourdough page at this blog!
"Utah Scones" not to be confused with British Scones.

Deep fried bread dough, best served with butter, honey or molasses!


No comments:

Post a Comment