Thursday, May 28, 2015

Dutch Oven Pigs in a Cornfield

 I needed a recipe for a hot day, I didn't want a heavy dish. I saw several recipes for Pigs in a Cornfield on the internet. They were all delicious looking, had lots of ingredients and canned soups. I liked the idea, but needed a lighter dish so I changed up recipe some and it turned out great. The kids who sampled it all loved it. So here is my version of
Pigs in a Cornfield
1/2 pound bacon, cut in 1' pieces
4-5 potatoes, cut in 1' pieces
1 onion, diced
6 ears of corn, cut in half
6-8 kielbasa or smoked sausage, cut in half
2-4 cups of chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

In a 12" Dutch Oven, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon. Line corn around Dutch Oven, next place sausage around oven. Mix spices together. Into the center layer potatoes, bacon and onions and seasonings. Pour chicken stock around outside of pan. you will want about 2" of liquid, this is to steam the corn and potatoes.
I placed 12 charcoals on the bottom and 22 on top. Once the stock begins to boil, it only takes about 30 minutes to cook, Check potatoes and when they are tender your meal is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment